Please read all instructions carefully.
All applications must be complete and received by February 2, 2018.
Entire application should be submitted through the website and/or by email and include:
- This completed and signed form (include parental signature if under 18 year of age)
- The full score of your composition
- A link to a website or Dropbox containing an original recorded performance or midi file of your piece (judges may choose, at their discretion, to accept an e-mailed file if judges can open and access it)
- $25 application fee submitted via PayPal when you submit your online form. (Please do not use a Paypal link on any NPO website page other than the competition pages for the application fee.)
Application can be signed and submitted online via the form below or sent to email@example.com (include completed “Composition Competition Application” which you can click here to download and name of applicant in subject line)
Incomplete applications will not be considered until all materials are received, and no incomplete application will be considered after February 2, 2018.
Composition Competition Rules and Restrictions
Applicants must submit application, full score, link to recording of piece or midi file, and $25 application fee to be received February 2, 2018.
The music must be written for full NPO orchestration and be no longer than 8 minutes in length.
The current NPO orchestra roster includes:
- full strings
- up to 3 flutes (one on piccolo)
- 2 oboes
- 2 clarinets
- 2 bassoons
- 4 horns
- 3 trumpets
- 3 trombones
- standard orchestral percussion (no marimba or vibraphone)
**PLEASE NOTE: Percussion must be limited to no more than four (4) parts: Timpani + 3 percussion
Applicants must be residents of middle Tennessee.
The submission must have been composed within the last two years. The submission cannot have been performed professionally.
The NPO reserves the right to name a Grand Prize but not have the piece performed on the season end concert cycle or any other concert cycle if the piece is not appropriate for the NPO or at the discretion of the Music Director and the Competition Judges.
Any applicant under the age of 18 must have parental signature on application form.
Only complete applications will be reviewed.
Multiple applications by the same individual must include separate score, sound file, and application fee for each piece submitted.
Previous winners are not eligible.
Grand Prize winner will be expected to provide complete parts for the season end performance.
This year, the season end concert cycle includes performances on May 1, second concert date TBD.
The NPO is an organization whose mission is to provide amateur musicians opportunities to perform at a high-quality level. The composition competition is meant to include those who do not make their living as composers or arrangers. The NPO trusts that applicants will respect the spirit of this endeavor and use their own judgment accordingly.