The NPO prepares and performs 4 concert series every season, and we perform each series at two different venues in the Nashville area. Part of the NPO’s mission is to provide high-quality symphonic music to a wide variety of audiences, and we perform in areas all over Nashville. Examples of previous performance venues include, but are not limited to: Belmont University’s McAfee Concert Hall, Iglesia de Dios Hispana de Nashville, St. George’s Episcopal Church, Schermerhorn Symphony Center, Mt. Zion Baptist Church, Gordon Jewish Community Center, and East Nashville Magnet High School.
All NPO concerts are free and open to the public. No tickets are necessary. Just come by and share the music with us.
Visit our Upcoming Programs page for the season schedule. Detailed information about concert repertoire is posted on the website several months prior to each series. Email patrons receive concert notices three weeks before each series. You can sign up for these concert notices on the right hand side of this screen.
- Is there an opening for my instrument? At this time, we do not know in which section we will need new members. After each season has been completed, current members will let us know if they will continue to be playing with the NPO for the upcoming season. We will then call for audition tapes in July, and final decisions will be made after August 1st.
- What are the audition requirements? You will be asked to play two scales of your choice covering a reasonable range of your instrument; one scale played slowly, the other scale played at fastest accurate speed. We also ask that you include a total of two to four minutes of a solo, etude, concerto, or excerpts--or portions thereof--that showcase your musical ability.
- When do auditions occur? We call for audition tapes in July, with the final submission date on August 1. If you are interested in auditioning for NPO, please use the Contact Us page to receive the complete information about how to submit an audition tape. Please be sure to tell us what instrument(s) you play. After you audition, you will be notified following the August 1st deadline regarding your status.
- What level of music does the orchestra play? Click here to see our past programs. They will give you a good idea of the scope of music the orchestra plays.
- When and where does the orchestra practice? We hold rehearsals every Tuesday evening (August-May) from 7:00 – 9:30 pm at St. George’s Episcopal Church, 4715 Harding Road, 37205.
- Are there subbing opportunities available? We encourage you to audition so that you may have the opportunity to be invited to join the orchestra as new member or a substitute during the new season. If an opening in a section occurs during the season, those who have auditioned are offered the opportunity to substitute in the order of their ranking during the audition process.
- What other ways can I support NPO?
- Volunteer – We are always looking for volunteers to assist with many aspects of the orchestra, especially during our performances. If you are interested in volunteering with the NPO, please fill out a Contact Us form to inquire about the role you can play in our orchestra.
- Donate – If you are interested in financially supporting our orchestra and becoming a Friend of the NPO, please click here. We would not be able to continue our mission of enriching the vibrant Nashville arts community without the support of our community.
- Compete – Every year we hold a concerto competition in both youth and adult categories as well as a composition competition. The winners of the concerto composition perform with the NPO during our final series, during which we also play the winning composition. Keep an eye on our website in the fall for more information about our competitions.
- Spread the word – We rely on our supporters to spread the word about NPO so that we can reach more members of our community every season. We appreciate any effort to share information with your friends and contacts about our upcoming concerts and the mission of the NPO.
- Support the arts in general by contributing to the local, state, or federal Arts Advocacy groups.
Our website is a great place to stay informed about upcoming concerts, competitions, and more. Sign up for our newsletter containing information about upcoming NPO events by completing the form to the right. We also post news about the NPO and our concerts on Facebook and Twitter. Like and follow us on Facebook and Twitter by clicking on the icons to the right. Feel free to use our Contact Us form with any questions, comments, concerns, or inquiries about concerts, auditions or volunteering.